Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Hero Responded...

Today is September 11, 2011 and the anniversary of another moment where time stood still and forged a lasting memory.  However, this post is not to relive 9-11 as I had drafted while waiting for my clothes to dry at the laundromat.  Something happened on the way home from there which brought tears to my eyes and the acknowledgement that heroism will never fail to exist somewhere. 

With laundry done, I was headed for home with the blog ideas fresh in my head.  Just a ways in the distance there appeared to be a car off to the side on the opposite side of the road and so I slowed a bit in case there was an accident.  My heart ached instantly at the sight of an older man steering an antique car while pushing it all by himself.  Immediately, I prayed “Oh God, help him.”  Before you pick up stones to throw at me, hear me out.  My vehicle was heading in the opposite direction, but I said “I’ll go back.”  Even though I know nothing about cars and completely out of shape, I could help somehow.  As soon as “I’ll go back” left my lips, a mini van passed me heading the other way and pulled over.  It all happened in a matter of seconds.  Watching in my rear view mirror, I saw a hearty young man hurrying to the old guy’s aid.  Tears flooded my eyes.   God answered my prayer!  He sent a hero to help where I probably would have been a hindrance.  The right person was sent for the task at hand, but this time it wasn’t me and I am trusting in God’s providence.  I will never know what caused the car to break down or why the young man stopped to help, but I do know the events I witnessed would make a much better blog post than what I had already written.    

Sharing what occurred today seemed fitting for Patriot Day and the tenth anniversary of 9-11.  Though we cannot forget what happened on that day, we can choose to honor the responders and victims by being every day heroes.   I wasn’t the hero of this story, but I wanted to encourage others with the heroism I observed today.  Sure, it was just one man lending a hand to another, but to the older gentleman and this witness, it was a hero that responded.

“…as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people…”  Galatians 6:10 NIV

1 comment: