Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cavities


I went to the dentist today and it was not a wonderful experience.  The hygienist has been warning me about flossing and using an electric tooth brush for many years now.  Today, she attacked my choppers with that silver hooky scraper thingamajig.  Nevertheless, no cavities!  For my teeth and pocketbook, that is good news.  Clean, healthy teeth affect my smile. 

But, as I think of the word cavity, I think about the fact I may not have any cavities in my teeth today, but I have them in my heart.  I think God, like the hygienist, has been taking a spiritual silver hooky scraper thingamajig to places in my heart.  He is cleaning out the yucky stuff to prevent further decay.  The cavities He has found, He will need to fill as only He can.  I have tried to fill them before, but only He has the right mix of fixes to restore to me a clean, healthy heart.  My heart affects my smile too. 

Though I do not have to return to my dentist for six months, I do not think I am quite done with the spiritual cleaning in my heart.  Today, I was hurting a little.  Still am, quite honestly.  It could be the scraping of old wounds or maybe a nerve was hit.  Regardless, the working on my heart has left me a bit tender and wanting to protect myself.  However, I know I am in good hands with God working on my heart because in the Bible, Psalm 34:18 says “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment