Wednesday, February 15, 2012

You Shall Be Free Indeed

In a comment on my blog about being comfortably captive, Gail reminded me of a truth from scripture.  "...if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed"  John 8:36 NKJV.  Beautiful words to foster trust rather than doubt. I believe these words to be true, so why am I  having difficulty entering freedom?

By addressing the comment, I am basically admitting that the confinement or captivity I blogged about two days ago, is of my own choosing.  The verse above implies the gate was opened, the wire was cut, or the fence was razed.  Could it be that I really don't believe it?  Am I really free?  Or could it be there are weeds hindering my way through? Or rocks to climb over? 

The weeds in my metaphor could represent anything that tries to choke out or diminish what is good in my life.  Painful memories.  Regrets.  Guilt.  Shame.  Lies and distortions from the enemy.  The rocks are obstacles to my freedom like challenges, actual or imagined.  Lack of knowledge.  Fear.  There are times, I am not sure which are rocks and which are weeds, but either way, they make it difficult to run towards freedom.

I love the picture I chose for this blog entry because I see myself in it in two different ways.  Sometimes, I am a weed or rock to someone else's freedom.  For today, though, I see myself as the lamb.  Even though I am in the middle of weeds and rocks, I am not focusing on them.  My ears are perked, my eyes are open and I am looking forward, not down and around.  So what am doing here?  Am I waiting for the coast to clear?  Or could it be that I am afraid of what is beyond?  Could it be I am finding some sort of safety in the weeds and the rocks, but curious enough of what is ahead not to hunker down and hide in them?



No comments:

Post a Comment